- Duke beat James Madison 31-7 last Saturday to start the David Cutcliffe era on the right note. The better-conditioned team won, Laura Keeley wrote Monday, and Clifford Harris’s big night was fueled by the injury of roommate Re’quan Boyette, Stephen Allan observed Wednesday.
- Up this week: Big Ten foe Northwestern, the only team the Blue Devils beat last year. Ben Cohen and Tim Britton both offer predictions favoring the Wildcats, while Matthew Iles takes Duke in a close one.
- Students came out in droves to watch Duke’s win in Wallace Wade last week, and there will likely be even more in sections 20-23 to greet the Wildcats—could this be the birth (or resurgence) of the Wade Wackos? And can’t there be a better name for them? Like the players, some students didn’t quite know how to accept the win.
- How will Hanna affect the game Saturday?
- Coach K, fresh off snagging a six-figure book deal, named Greg Paulus, Gerald Henderson and Jon Scheyer captains for the upcoming team, even though he said last fall that the captaincy of the 2006-2007 team had been “diluted” with three leaders.
- And finally: what you might have missed while you were in the Blue Zone, or wishing you were young enough to regale in the bacchanalia of Tailgate.
Enjoy the weekend, and check back with the Sports Blog and The Chronicle over the weekend for coverage of what promises to be an exciting slate, tropical storm permitting.
—by Ben Cohen